First of all, apart from my own events my most regular networking experience is at 4Networking . Being a member of 4Networking and holding a passport account gives you the option to network with over 302 different groups in the UK.
It also gives you to give 4sights- short presentations to attendees at the breakfast meeting
My main interests are social media, marketing, property investment and investing in general so you would find me at those types of events. In the next part I will break down these groups.
Networking Equipment for Offline and Online
1) Literature- Business Cards- ideally carry two sets of business cards.
Yes there are other pieces of literature- you can bring along
Make sure your networking cards are well protected- does not need to be in an expensive case
2) Map- A-Z or if you are an iphone user google maps
3) Pens- so you can make notes, ideally some paper also.
4) Diary- whether hard copy or digital- its always worth planning your diary for the month ahead
For iphone users I find meetup.com an invaluable tool. Also twitter- when you are at meets there is often a hashtag for the event.
With regard to twitter I find using hootsuite invaluable-I use the streams to find out what events are coming up in my local area. Details of streaming visit http://blog.hootsuite.com/new-hoottip-for-sxsw-keyword-and-search-streams-in-hootsuite/
Personally I don’t find card scanner apps useful, although I am sure there must be some on the market which are good.
6) Keep account of your networking expenditure and any income- Kashflow
7) Using a email marketing platform- ie for example constant contact
8) An open mind- possibly the most important thing to bring along to a business networking event
This is just a handful of networking equipment. What is your most important piece of equipment to bring along?