1) Literature- Business Cards- ideally carry two sets of business cards.
Yes there are other pieces of literature- you can bring along
Make sure your networking cards are well protected- does not need to be in an expensive case
2) Map- A-Z or if you are an iphone user google maps
3) Pens- so you can make notes, ideally some paper also.
4) Diary- whether hard copy or digital- its always worth planning your diary for the month ahead
For iphone users I find meetup.com an invaluable tool. Also twitter- when you are at meets there is often a hashtag for the event.
With regard to twitter I find using hootsuite invaluable-I use the streams to find out what events are coming up in my local area. Details of streaming visit http://blog.hootsuite.com/new-hoottip-for-sxsw-keyword-and-search-streams-in-hootsuite/
Personally I don’t find card scanner apps useful, although I am sure there must be some on the market which are good.
6) Keep account of your networking expenditure and any income- Kashflow
7) Using a email marketing platform- ie for example constant contact
8) An open mind- possibly the most important thing to bring along to a business networking event
This is just a handful of networking equipment. What is your most important piece of equipment to bring along?